The Haltom City Public Library is preparing for some big changes in January, 2015. The Library’s catalog software will be changing from Horizon to Polaris, which means big changes for the staff and some great new features for our Library patrons.
The Library’s catalog will be down from January 16-January 22. Patrons will be able to check out from January 16-22 as long as you bring a current library card. We will not be able to look up library card accounts at this time nor will new library cards be issued. A library card is mandatory for checking out materials and accessing internet computers. Most other Library functions will also be down, such as searching the catalog, paying fines, requesting materials, checking out eBooks, digital magazines, and other online resources, etc.
Thank you for your patience as we migrate all of our data from one software system to the next. Since none of our materials are due from January 14– January 26, we ask patrons to return library materials after January 27th.
Some new features that you may enjoy in Polaris include:
- Patrons can choose to maintain reading history
- Patrons can save searches so they are alerted when new materials arrive
- Patrons can add reviews and ratings to titles and also benefit from reading other reviews
- Staff can link patron accounts together – to help families track fines and due dates easier
- Text notices for holds and overdue books are available
- Patrons can enlarge text
- Patrons can update their own phone numbers and email addresses
- And many more!