Monday, January 21, 2013

Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo


Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo

It’s that wonderful time of the year again. The Christmas season and all its trimmings are behind us. Valentine’s Day and delicious chocolates are just around the corner. Here in the great state of Texas, it is now time for the annual Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo! YeeHaw! This year’s event runs from Friday, January 18 through Saturday, February 9.

As a child, who grew up here in Haltom City, my family visited the Stock Show every year. I remember the schools closing on the opening day of the event, so that students might attend the parade marching through the streets in Downtown; Beautiful horses, crazy clowns and of course cowboys everywhere.

It almost seemed as though jeans, western shirts, hats and boots were like a uniform we all donned for the event. I suppose most of us would have been dubbed “drug store cowboys”.  Most often, than not, the boots and hats remained in the closet waiting for that particular occasion to take them out, brush them off and hope they still fit. As a little girl, none of that really mattered. It was exciting just the same.

When was the last time you attended a rodeo? My family and I try go at least once each year. Not always was I rooting for the bronco riders and steer wrestlers. There were those moments I found myself cheering for the animals. I felt that the animals were being treated cruelly and did not really want to be in the stands. My opinion changed somewhat when I learned that the rodeo commission kept a veterinarian right on site to check the bulls and horses after each encounter. Like I said, I felt a little better, but secretly still root for the animals.

Visitors have so much to see and do. After walking through each of the livestock barns and admiring all the care and dedication each of the farmers and ranchers have bestowed on their prize animals, you simply must go to each of the exhibit halls. Clothing, food vendors, ranch equipment, new automobiles, candy stores, jewelry, kitchen utensils…you name it, you will see it there.

The Fort Worth Stock Show actually began in 1896. In 1906 was called the Fort Worth Fat Stock Show. If you would like to read more about the history of the Stock Show you can visit the official website at www.fssr.com.

 Books featuring the subject are as follows:

Fort Worth Stockyards by J’Nell L. Pate

Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District: an Illustrated History and Guide by Horace Craig


Submitted by Allison Long

No comments:

Post a Comment