Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hard to Choose Just Three

I hope that everyone got to read Bob Ray Sanders’s column in yesterday’s Fort Worth Star-Telegram for several reasons.  One, he’s one of my favorite columnists.  Two, he’s a great supporter of libraries.  Three, this week he writes about one of his personal dilemmas: culling his list of favorite movies, books, and music down to three per category for the Fort Worth Library’s annual Summer Reading Challenge.   Judging by all of the titles that he listed as some of his favorites, he has quite a bit of work left to do to get to the three finalists. (And no, I’m not telling you what any of the titles are – you need to read his column for yourself.)   I wasn’t surprised that most of the movies he liked weren’t my favorites (it’s a guy vs. gal thing probably).  I expected our taste in books to be similar and I wasn't disappointed.  But I was totally surprised with his excellent taste in music.  He likes the same music and artists that I do!  
If you read his column, you know that he is going to be one of the four guest panelists for Haltom City Public Library’s upcoming August 4th evening event, “The Songbird Still Sings: A Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Pulitzer Prize Award for To Kill a Mockingbird".  In addition, he is going to be the panel moderator for the book discussion so it's no surprise that this book and the movie are on his ‘favorites’ list. 
I tried last tonight to compile my own list of my three most favorite books and I now understand Bob Ray Sanders’s dilemma.  Maybe if I could just raise the limit to ten or twenty, wait, maybe thirty if I counted my favorite childhood books, then maybe I could …..  Nope, can't do it. I’m either fickle or well-read.   I prefer to think I’m well-read.  I wish.  lol.  After much thought, I'd have to say my three favorite books are:  Gone with the Wind, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Atlas Shrugged.
So what are your three favorite books?  E-mail your three book titles to: libraryblogmistress@gmail.com and let’s find out what’s Haltom City’s three favorite books are.

No comments:

Post a Comment